Trump administration officials were reportedly notified Wednesday night that a cafeteria worker on the White House grounds has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The employee worked at a cafeteria in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, located just across West Executive Avenue, which was closed this week after his case was confirmed, NBC News reported.
The White House is conducting contact tracing and told officials there was no cause for alarm or for any officials to undergo self-quarantining measures, according to the outlet.
“There is no reason for panic or alarm,” the White House said in an email sent to officials and obtained by NBC News. “The White House Medical Unit has already conducted contact tracing and based off of their interviews, they have determined that no EOP staff should self-quarantine due to exposure.”
The Eisenhower Executive Office Building houses the vice president’s office, the National Security Council and senior staff members — including coronavirus task force officials, NBC reported.
The cafeteria is run by a government contractor under the General Services Administration, which maintains the building.
“All proper protocols were in place by the vendor including masks, gloves, plastic shielding at check out, and no dine-in service,” a GSA spokesperson told NBC News. “The White House Medical Unit has done contact tracing and determined that the risk of retransmission is low.”
Several close to President Trump have caught the deadly virus while the commander-in-chief has remained uninfected. In May, a personal valet to Trump and White House coronavirus task force spokeswoman Katie Miller both tested positive.
Earlier this month a White House reporter also tested positive for the virus